Online Sport Management Master's Program Details
During your studies in the online master's in sport management* program at the University of Kansas, you will have the opportunity to practice your knowledge in each class, collaborate with your classmates, network with higher-ups in the industry, and apply your skills in a variety of sport settings, including professional, intercollegiate, high school and non-profit sectors.
Once you're enrolled in the program, you will have the opportunity to learn how to apply front office management techniques and the business theories behind the interdisciplinary fields of sport, marketing, business and law from established experts in the field.
As you learn to apply these new skills directly in your career, you're also developing an e-portfolio that demonstrates the competencies you gained during your studies that apply to your personal career goals relating to the world of sport.
Get the credential and connections you need to outperform the rest—join our network of Jayhawks today, and put the strength of the KU name behind you.
*This program is a Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.) degree in health, sport management, and exercise science with an emphasis in sport management.
About the Program
The online master's in sport management degree from the University of Kansas has been designed with working professionals in mind, by active experts still engaged in the industry.
Develop your professional skill set with faculty who know firsthand what you'd benefit from learning—peruse our program benefits below.
- 12 courses, 36 credits, 8 weeks per course
- Graduate in as few as 2 years
- Online courses designed for working professionals
- Join an interdisciplinary program designed to help students pursue or advance in careers across the sport sector, including sport management, player and team management, sport marketing and event management
- Produce a portfolio that reflects learned skills that correspond to the competencies outlined by the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM)
- Utilize what you study in the field during your customizable career internship
- Successfully complete a comprehensive exam*
- Gain access to the connections of KU's influential Jayhawk network
- Make valuable network connections as you interact with industry experts
- No GRE requirement for admission
*During the last eight-week course in your final semester, you will be contacted by the program coordinator about completing a required comprehensive exam (approx. 15-20 pages in length). You must pass the exam to successfully complete this program.
An Interdisciplinary Curriculum Brought to Life Online
Because of the vast diversity of opportunities in the sport industry, our online master's in sport management program utilizes a dynamic interdisciplinary curriculum, delivered in an innovative online format, that emphasizes business communication skills alongside networking and industry engagement, so you'll be prepared to advance in or break into a variety of professional roles after graduation.
In addition to the business side of the sport industry, our students are prepared in the following vital areas of the industry:
- Ethics and Legal Aspects of Sport
- Socio-Cultural Dimensions and Organizational Behavior in Sport
- Sport Finance and Marketing
- Sport Sponsorship and Fundraising
- Facilities and Event Management, and more
Through our dynamic 36-credit-hour curriculum, you can graduate with the broad knowledge-based skills that will help you stand out for a vast number of professional positions.
Career Opportunities in Sport Management
After earning their master's in sport management, our alumni have entered the industry with the confidence and prowess they need to take charge and make the next game-changing move in organizations across the globe. Here are just a few of the key organizations our network of Jayhawk alumni work, or have worked, for:1
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Kansas City Royals
- Sporting Kansas City
- Seattle Mariners
- Atlanta Hawks
- Houston Astros
- Dallas Cowboys
- San Francisco Giants
- Minnesota Timberwolves
- St. Louis Blues
- Fox Sports Midwest
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Nashville Predators
- Monumental Sports
- Environmental Institute for Golf
- Seattle Seahawks
- Major League Baseball
- Spurs Sports and Entertainment
- Oklahoma City Thunder
- Chicago Wolves
- Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC)
- University of Colorado
- University of Kansas
- Big Ten Conference
- Georgia State University
- Pacific University
- Northwestern University
- University of Alabama
- University of Notre Dame
- America East Conference
Practice Your Interests with Our Expert Practitioners
Before joining the ranks of our renowned faculty members, the instructors in the online master's in sport management program at the University of Kansas have vast experience in the industry—with roles in intercollegiate athletics, the College Football Hall of Fame, various front offices for professional sports teams and more.
See What You Need in Order to Apply
Ready to Take Flight as a Jayhawk?
Now that you've read up on the program and reviewed the requirements, the time has come to submit your application materials and join our network of over 300,000 Jayhawks across the globe. Are you ready to make the play of your lifetime?
You can fill out your personal information and submit your application online, stopping and saving your progress whenever you need, entirely online at the link below. Rock chalk, Jayhawk!
1. Retrieved on October 1, 2021, from tinyurl.com/JayhawksInSport